Tuesday 7 June 2011

The Childrens Hour

I am currently doing LAMDA Gold medal (grade 8) and one of my pieces is "The Childrens Hour" by Lillian Helman which was written in the 1930's. The play is set in an all girls school a bit like Enid Byltons "Malory Towers" and centres on the two teachers, Karen and Martha. I was just wondering around the Internet as you do looking for previous productions to compare mine to and found this little gem...

The movie is in black and white but this seems to add something to the action. The story is about a nasty little girl who tells a lie about two school teachers having an affair. Both teachers were women. The movie differs from the original play in a few ways; SPOILERS for example instead of shooting herself at the end of the play Martha hangs herself which changes the characters somewhat. I'm only doing a short extract but its the "Big Scene" with the love confession...but I'm playing Karen so I don't have to do any confessing!The DVD with Audrey Hepburn can be brought at Amazon uk and is only £3.93...well worth the watch. But be warned, here be nasty little girls and suicidal teachers...

I also found this which I REALLY want to see  
Below are photos from the production



The play stars Keira Knightley and Elisabeth Moss...I WANT TO WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment